If you`re going through a separation or divorce, you`ve probably heard of custody agreements. These agreements govern how parenting time will be divided between you and your ex-partner. While these agreements are legally binding, they can still be difficult to enforce. This raises the question: can police enforce custody agreements?

The short answer is no. Police officers do not have the authority to enforce custody agreements. The purpose of the police is to enforce criminal laws and maintain public order. Custody agreements fall under the civil law jurisdiction, which means that they are not considered criminal offenses. Therefore, the police cannot and will not intervene in a custody dispute.

So, what can you do if your ex-partner violates the custody agreement? Your best option is to go back to court and file a motion for contempt. This means that you are asking the court to hold your ex-partner in contempt for not following the custody agreement. If the court finds that your ex-partner is in contempt, they may impose sanctions or even jail time.

It`s important to note that you cannot take matters into your own hands. For example, if your ex-partner fails to bring your child back at the agreed-upon time, you cannot simply show up at their house and demand that your child be returned. This could result in you being charged with a crime, and it may hurt your case in court.

In conclusion, police officers cannot enforce custody agreements. If your ex-partner violates the custody agreement, your best option is to file a motion for contempt in court. Remember to always follow the legal process and seek the guidance of an experienced family law attorney.